Budapest is also known as the city of the bridges: the city is crossed by seven bridges that connect Buda to Pest.
The Chain Bridge:
Budapest’s first permanent crossing over the Danube river was completed in 1849 as a marvel of the 19th century’s technological advancements. Its name comes from the iron chains, on which the road-bed hangs. The chains are held by two 48-meter river piers in classicist style. At the time of its construction, the Chain Bridge was the suspension bridge with the second-largest span all over the world. The stone lions took their place only in 1852. They luckily survived the devastation of World War II. According to a legend, the lions of the Chain Bridge do not have tongues. The legend lacks any factual basis: in fact the lions do have their tongues but it is only possible to see their tongues from above!
This bridge in liberty style was built at the beginning of 1900 and dedicated to the murdered Queen in 1898. Until 1926 it was the biggest pillarless bridge in Europe. Destroyed by the German during the war it was rebuilt in 1964. It is the third newest bridge in Budapest.
This is the bridge that connects the Margaret Island to Buda and Pest. The Budapest tourists really like this island, because there are a lot of good recreational facilities. It was built in 1901 and destroyed during the war by an explosion. It was rebuilt in 1948. The bridge is situated at the north of the city center. It has a curious shape because upon meeting the island, it breaks at a 30° angle.
In Art nouveau style, it is one of the most beautiful bridges in Europe. It was built in the occasion of the Hungarian millenary festivities of 1989. At the two ends of the bridge we find the Gellért Hotel and Spa and the Market Hall.
The Árpád Bridge was built in 1950 at the north of margaret island, its length is 2 km. It was built where already the Romans erected a bridge to connect Acquincum with another settlement on the Pest side.
The Pefőfi Bridge was built during the 30s, destroyed during the war and then rebuilt in 1952.
Built between 1992 and 1995, the Rákóczi bridge was originally destined to smoothen the augmented traffic flow during the 1996 expo that finally never took place in Budapest. The Rákóczi Bridge is the second newest bridge of Budapest as of 2013.