Saint Elizabeth Church

This church was built between 1893 and 1901 in gothic style by the architect Imre Steindl who was also the chief architect of the Parliament building. Striking are the two 76 meters high spires that seem to drill the sky and dominate the underlying Rozsak Tere (Square of Roses). The church is dedicated to the Princess Elizabeth (1207-1231), the daughter of the Hungarian king Andrew II, who was made Saint thanks to her charitable activities. Saint Elizabeth is also represented in the statue that is located just in front of the Church. The facade is decorated by a rose window with a gothic style frame which is located right on top of the entrance. Figures of the Virgin Mary, the Patron of Hungary, Saint Stephen and Saint Ladislas are adorning the pediment. The interior of the church is noth less of worth, it was designed by relevant artists of the time such as the wood sculptor Mór Höltzi and the stained-glass artist Miksa Róth. It could be one of the best experience on a Budapest trip. A park open to visitors surrounds the religious building.

Széchenyi István square

Dedicate at first in 1947 to Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the American President between 1933 and 1945 and then renamed to the man that was the ideator of the plans of the Chain Bridge, Szécheny István. This square is located on the Pest side at the end of the Chain Bridge. At the southern edge of Szécheny István square rises a statue of Ferenc Deák, the Hungarian Minister that contributed in a decisive way to the signing of the Compromise of 1867 that lead to the institution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. At the western side of the square a statue representing two children that are holding their hands as a sign of peace, one is Austrian and the other is Hungarian. The Magyar kid is naked and uncombed while the Austrian is dressed in an aristocrat way and his hair are well combed. On the square overlook some beautiful buildings: the building in art-nouveau style, adorned with golden shingles, located in a central position is the Gresham Palace, built by an english company of insurance. Today this magnificent building hosts the Four Seasons Gresham Palace hotel. On the northern side is located the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (Magyar Tudományos Akadémia) founded by the count Széchenyi István. This square offers the possibility to admire one of the more striking panoramas of the Castle Hill from the Pest side.

The Central Market Hall

The Central Market is one of the main tourist attractions of Budapest. It is the the largest and the oldest covered market in the city. The building was erected according to the plans of the Hungarian architect Samu Pecz in 1896. It was completely destroyed by an explosion during the World War II and then closed for some years. During the 90s a huge restoration work brought back it to its old beauty. The market affects the visitors for its exterior architecture and the size but also for its irresistible interior. At the entrance you will be overcome by the spectacular colors and smells of the local food and souvenirs. The Cover Market is settled just at the end of Vaci Street which is the main pedestrian street of the city center and close to the elegant Liberty bridge. If you are a tourist in Budapest and you looking for a classic Hungarian product, for example Paprika, Rubik’s cube or hungarian famous porcelains, this is the best place for you.

Gellért Hill Cave

Inside the Gellert hill there is a cave network. During a sightseeing tour in Budapest you can visit this beautiful place. In the past, a hermit used to live on the premises and used the therapeutic water of the thermal source close to the cave to heal ill people. This water probably has been the same water that is used nowadays in the Géllert baths. During the 19th century a poor family occupied the natural cave. We know this fact thanks to a painting by Mihály Mayr (1860s) and a photo by György Klösz (1877). In the 1920s, the cave was occupied by a group of monks, members of the Pauline order, who constructed the modern entrance to the cave. The rock church was built according to the plans of Kálman Lux, architect and professor at the Budapest University of Technology, after a pilgrimage that some members of the Pauline order made during the 1920s to Lourdes (France). The monks were inspired by similar rock constructions of the French pilgrimage site. The Church has been consecrated in 1926, it performed its religious duties until 1951. In this year, the communists, that had already captured Budapest in 1945, closed the church and chased the monks. Ferenc Vezér, the monastery’s superior, was put to death and the other members of the order were imprisoned for more than 10 years. The chapel reopened in 1989 and by 1992 the Pauline Order had returned to the cave. Behind the chapel there is a monastery equipped with picturesque turrets in neo-gothic style. The church is located in a natural cave and the walls and they have leave in living rock. Worthy of attention is the room in which all the wooden ornaments have been carved by an observant. On the terrace in front of the entrance is placed a statue of Saint Stephen beside his horse. Today the religious functions are performed regularly. The backside of the Church is occupied by the monastery equipped with striking neo gothic turrets. The cave is a natural cave and its walls are in living rock. The natural living rock walls of the cave breath the thousand years of history it has experienced. Among the many rooms, worthy of attention is the one in which all the wooden ornaments have been carved by a devoted. On the terrace in front of the entrance is placed a statue of Saint Stephen beside his horse.

Monument of the 1956 Revolution

The hungarian revolution, known also as Hungarian uprising, was an anti-soviet revolt that lasted from the 23 October 1956 to the 11 November 1956. The insurrection was repressed by the soviet tanks and opposed by the ÁVH (State Security Police). Died about 2.600 hungarian from both the sides (pro-against the revolution). The injured were approximately 20.000 and about 250.000 hungarian left from their country. The revolution started on the 23 October 1956 when about 20.000 students met next to the statue of Józef Bem. Here the president of the Writer’s Union, Péter Veres, red a manifesto to the crowd and the crowd started to sing the National poem that was censored: "This we swear, this we swear, that we will no longer be slaves." and one of them cut out of the Hungarian flag the communist emblem. After those facts most of the people cross the Danube to join the pacific demonstration in front of the Parliament where more than 200.000 people came together. In the evening a radio speech of the First Secretary Ernő gerő broadcast the condemnation of the writers and students. That night some protesters decided to pull to pieces the Stalin statue that was located on the edge of the City park (Városliget).In the meanwhile a large people met in front the building of Radio Budapest, guarded by the ÁVH and some rumors about the shooting of some demonstrates begun to spread. Tear gases were thrown out of the windows of the radio building and the ÁVH started to shoot on the people. During that night, the Hungarian Working People's Party Secretary Ernő Gerő demanded the Soviet military intervention to ease the situation and on the 24 the Soviet tanks came in Budapest.

Дървени летви - колчета от ЕМСИЕН-3
Дървени талпиталпи от ЕМСИЕН-3